Educational Robots for Absolute Beginners:
A Free On-Line Course that teaches the basics of LEGO NXT Robot Programming
Got a LEGO NXT robot kit but don’t know where to begin? Come learn the basics of LEGO NXT Robot Programming and discover a new way to bring math, science, and computer science content to your students both in and out of the classroom. By the end of this class, you (YES YOU!) will have built your own robot and programmed it to dance around the room.
This course, developed by the Rowan University Laboratory for Educational Robotics and supported by a generous grant from Google CS4HS, is specifically designed for K-12 teachers, but is free and open to anyone who is interested in learning about LEGO NXT robotics. The course will be starting at the end of October. Preregister now and we’ll send you an email when we open up the course. To preregister, as well as to see our video “trailer” and get the answers to frequently asked questions please visit: http://cs4hsrobots.appspot.com/
Grade 3-5 Common Core Resources
POLYA’S Problem Solving Techniques
In 1945 George Polya published the book, How To Solve It, which quickly became his most prized publication. It sold over one million copies and has been translated into 17 languages. In this book he identifies four basic principles of problem solving. Read this article to learn about these four basic principles.
CCSSO has created both Word and Excel versions of the Common Core Standards. They are posted on the Louisiana Department of Education website as follows:
- PARCC Update, January 2013
- NJASK Testing Schedule Memo from Jeffrey Hauger — Memo dated April 12, 2012 regarding Spring 2013 and 2014 Testing Dates
- Alg_I_Continuation_Memo — Letter dated January 9, 2012 regarding Algebra I Assessment
- Model Curriculum Memo from Asst. Commissioner Penny MacCormack— Letter dated December 19, 2011 regarding plan to develop model curriculum
Shirley Cooper, Math Coordinator website: http://www.state.nj.us/education/aps/cccs/math/
NJ DOE Grant Opportunities
PARCC begins development of new assessments — News release dated Dec. 30, 2011
PARCC Releases Model Content Frameworks — News release dated November 9, 2011
NCTM is a public voice of mathematics education, providing vision, leadership, and professional development to support teachers in ensuring mathematics learning of the highest quality for all students.
The National Council of Supervisors of Mathematics (NCSM) is an organization for leaders in mathematics education. NCSM is unique in its purpose—supporting mathematics education leadership at the school, district, college/university, state/province, and national levels. Its membership constitutes an international force, collaborating to achieve excellence in mathematics education.
Show Me Center
The Show-Me Center, in partnership with four NSF-sponsored middle grades mathematics curriculum development Satellite Centers (University of Wisconsin, Michigan State University, University of Montana, and Educational Development Center) provides information and resources needed to support selection and implementation of standards-based middle grades mathematics curricula.
Living Worksheets (some 4600 interactive math teaching applications)
Interactive mathematical exercises, puzzles and tools. The site contains sample interactive downloads needing Excel, information and UK teacher common.
WolframAlpha is an interesting website and an important educational tool. We have it for our use now. You will find it interesting to take a look. Before going to the website it might be useful to watch the introductory video to see what information is being provided, of many kinds — see the introductory video by Stephen Wolfram.
The WolframAlpha website is at http://www.wolframalpha.com/. After reading what is below, click on “New to WolframAlpha in the upper right hand corner at the website, to get an idea about things. Also, click on “Examples” in the middle, and then “Mathematics” and then on sub-topics. And then try others. It is amazing ! Revolutionary!
Regional Educational Laboratory Mid-Atlantic (REL Mid-Atlantic) RUTGERS
We are seeking NJ school districts that wish to be part of a Random Control Trial of CMP2. It is a study of effectiveness of math curriculum. Schools will be randomly assigned as intervention or control for two years. There are participation incentives for schools.
The website link to research projects is: http://ies.ed.gov/ncee/edlabs/projects/project.asp or http://ies.ed.gov/ncee/edlabs/regions/midatlantic/projects.asp and the toll-free number is 1-866-RELMAFYI.
Count Down Resource (Loyola University Chicago School of Education)
Countdown is an educational website devoted to effective mathematics instruction. The site features over 800 instructional math video clips and printable worksheets, categorized by NCTM standards. The 4-7 minute clips are from the television show, originally broadcast in Chicago. The off-camera voices you hear in the movies are elementary school students who phoned in to help solve math problems.
The ASSISTments platform is a generic system for any subject from math to english. It is designed to ASSIST student learning and give teachers assessMENT of their students’ progress.
Reforming your School Data
The Teaching Channel
The Teaching Channel
- The Teaching Channel is a multi-platform service, delivering high-quality video via the web, public television, cable, video-on-demand and other digital outlets. It showcases innovative and effective teaching practices in America’s public schools. Funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, this new national non-profit will elevate and celebrate great teaching that has had proven and positive impact in grades K-12. Teaching Channel will launch fully in the fall of 2011. Teaching Channel programming will be targeted to America’s three million K-12 educators, as well as to the general public. Documentary-style videos shot in the classroom will connect viewers to teachers’ struggles and successes. Nothing will be staged or rehearsed. These videos will show real classrooms with real teachers. For more information download the following document (wd/pdf)